Components of PV modules that are to be part of a PV system requires to fulfil the standard technical criteria to fulfil the expected performance objective for the plant. The sizing of PV systems may be based on may factors, depending on the type of system and its functional requirements. Some of them are:
- Local levels of sun exposure
- Orientation of the array (tilt angle)
- Plans for future expansion
- Product efficiency ratings
- Natural degradation of performance over the life of the warranty
After the potential of solar energy was approximated, the next parameter is how much energy is required by consumers, it is necessary to know which consumers and how many of them would be included into the system.
A number of design software provide ergonomic approach towards the efficient installation of a PV system.